As the temperature drops in San Jose, having a playground nearby can be a fun, safe, and creative outlet for your kids. The quality and design of your equipment will play a significant role in whether or not it can be used year-round. North California Play Works strives to build playground equipment that’s suitable for your needs regardless of the season. In this blog, we’ll take you through some of our favorite winter playground activities and the benefits of visiting a playground in the winter. Let’s get started!
Our Favorite Winter Playground Activities
While San Jose doesn’t get snow, there are still plenty of creative ways you can use the playground in the winter. No snow also reduces a lot of the hazards that come with using this equipment – so all the more reason to go! Here are just a few of our favorite activities.
- Winter obstacle course: Head to the park and have a fun winter obstacle course! Design the course based on the features that already exist, “First, jump over the wall, then head towards the slide doing 3 cartwheels, then slide with your eyes closed.” Get more creative as your kids get older. Keep it save and fun. The activity will help warm them up, and you can always add in props if you need to (someone’s scarf or a sled from the weekend’s trip to the mountains).
- Tag base: There are countless variations of tag you can play at the park, but the best part of playing in the winter is that it’ll keep your kiddos warm. Get out of the house, use your energy up, and stay warm! It’s a win-win-win.
- Winter nature walk: How about a little science lesson? Once your little one has had a chance to run around for a bit, see if they’re interested in a natural walk. Observe all the ways that the environment is different in the winter. Are the leaves dead? What animals do you see or hear? How are the colors different? Is the sun out? This can be an incredibly educational experience and one you may not have depending on what your backyard looks like!
Benefits of Playground Use in the Winter
You may think of summer as the ideal time to use your backyard playground. The sun is shining, and there’s no threat of rain. Yet, the cold shouldn’t entirely deter you from utilizing your play equipment. There are still plenty of reasons to get out and enjoy it.
- Fresh air: Although the air is cold, winter is too long to stay cramped up inside. Kids need time to run around (bundled up in coats, of course!) Give them the opportunity to run out their energy on a playset even in the wintertime.
- Imagination: When your children play outdoors in the winter, it is an entirely different vibe than in the summertime. They’ll make believe according to the weather and their favorite winter movies (Frozen 2 anyone?). Creative outdoor play is so encouraged, and this can be exactly what they need.
- Change of scenery: Let’s face it, winter can bring on a severe case of cabin fever. If you don’t have a backyard playset, then heading to your favorite playground in San Jose can be the remedy you need for a chilly winter inside. Odds are your kids won’t want to leave!
North California Play Works offers optimal equipment for year-round fun. Our high-quality materials are built to last, and we love working with local community organizations to create the state’s best parks. Continue visiting our parks regardless of the weather!